Union Missionary Baptist Church was formally organized under the leadership of
Reverend Newman Townsend. The roots of the church go back approximately to 1911
with the founding of Gaines Chapel Baptist Church.
In 1911, Gaines Chapel Church was founded under the guidance of Reverend
Sam Gaines in he Pond Beat community, where Redstone Arsenal is located.
From 1941 to 1951 members of Gaines Chapel worshipped jointly with New
Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church -- another church which existed in the Pond
Beat community. Meetings were held at St. Matthew Primitive Baptist Church.
During this time, the two churches, under the spiritual leadership of Reverend
Newman Townsend, began construction on a building for worship. It was completed
in 1951. Reverend Townsend suggested that the group reorganize under the name
of Progressive Union Missionary Baptist Church.
In 1951, Progressive Union chose Reverend P.S. Swoope as the Pastor. He
served faithfully until his death in 1960. In 1960, Reverend Sam Whitman was
elected Pastor. He served until his death in November 1974. In 1975,
Progressive Union elected Reverend Herbert Cartwright, Jr. to serve as Pastor.
During his tenure a new sanctuary was erected. This administration also saw the
first woman minister in the history of the church, Minister Bernell Tibbs.
Reverend Cartwright served faithfully until August 1985.
In January 1986, Reverend Wayne P. Snodgrass was elected as pastor of
Progressive Union. Many classes and ministries were implemented. In 1994, the
Family Christian Life Center (FCLC) was completed which enabled the church to
expand its ministries. On April 1, 2006, the new sanctuary was completed and
the first worship service was held on Sunday, April 2, 2006.
After only 8.5 years, Progressive Union M.B. Church made the final payment on the church mortgage.
This was made possible by the sacrificial giving and generous offerings of our church family. THANK YOU!
During our New Year's Eve service on December 31, 2014, the church body recognized this achievement with a special "mortgage burning"
celebration with Deacons Stanley and Harris having the honor. To God be the glory!!!