The Progressive Union Missionary Baptist Church (PUMBC) Youth Scholarship Program (YSP) exists to provide awards of financial assistance and encouragement to qualified* members of PUMBC who are attending accredited institutions of higher learning to further their Christian and Academic growth beyond high school. These financial awards may also serve as incentive to all PUMBC youth to pursue and complete secondary educational goals, thusly, studying to show themselves approved unto God as workers unashamed rightly dividing the Word of truth, academically and spiritually.
Youth who meet all of the following criteria may be deemed eligible to receive these awards from the PUMBC YSP:
- A member of PUMBC;
- Has been actively involved within the ministries of PUMBC for twelve (12) consecutive months;
- Is a high school graduate having been accepted and registered in an institution of higher learning;
- Is not older than twenty-two (22) years of age before September 1st and;
- Meets the requirements of the type award applying for.
* A qualified member of PUMBC is one who has been actively involved for twelve (12) consecutive months with one or more ministries within the PUMBC. Qualifying PUMBC Ministries include: Youth Ministry, Music Ministry, Jr. Brotherhood, Usher Board, Security Ministry, Praise Dance Ministry, Audio/Video Ministry, Christian Education Department (Sunday School, Bible Study)
Note: A previous member of PUMBC maintaining contact/connection with PUMBC (i.e. worshiping and fellowshipping with PU during stints home through worship services, Sunday school, bible study, supporting or attending PUMBC official youth and Jr. Brotherhood activities) and maintaining updated contact and membership information throughout their undergraduate years.
Types of Awards Available
PUMBC YSP encompasses two (2) types of Financial Awards to promote the continuing secondary education of the PUMBC active youth membership.
High School Student Award is a financial award that exists to foster the academic maturity of the PUMBC Graduating High School Senior entering into an accredited college, university or technical institution to complete a two-year associate’s or four-year bachelor’s degree.
Requirements to become a recipient of the PUMBC YSP High School Student Award:
1. Submit a completed PUMBC YSP Award Application.
2. Submit a brief typed letter (approximately 300 words) outlining the applicant’s future goals.
3. Proof of applicant’s acceptance and subsequent registration into an accredited college, university or technical institution.
4. Meet the deadlines for the above requirements.
Collegiate Student Award is a once a year financial award that exists to provide continuing support to existing PUMBC College Youth who are maintaining requirements toward completing an undergraduate (associate or bachelor) degree at an accredited two-year or four-year College, university or technical institution.
Requirements to become a recipient of the PUMBC YSP Collegiate Student Award:
1. Applicant must be an existing PUMBC college student between the ages of 18 and 22 years old who has NOT received a PUMBC YSP Award three (3) times.
2. Submit a completed PUMBC YSP Award Application (typed).
3. Submit an official sealed copy of college transcript.
4. Have a 2.75 GPA (on a 4.0 Scale) during SUCCESSIVE residency at a two-year or four-year accredited college, university or technical institution working toward an associate or bachelor degree;
5. A brief typed letter (approximately 500 words) from the student to the PUMBC Christian Education Department Scholarship Board indicating Spiritual growth, academic and career intent. Content of letter may include:
i. Student’s major
ii. Why student is pursuing this major
iii. Student’s expected graduation date
iv. Student’s plans upon completing your academic goals
v. Status of student’s spiritual growth/life
6. Meet the deadlines for the above requirements
Scholarship Award Timelines
1. Scholarship advertising begins in January (or shortly afterwards) for the school year beginning in August/September of the year.
2. High School Student and Collegiate Student Award Application period ends on the deadline date set by the committee.
a. Applications are reviewed for compliance after the deadline date has been met.
b. Students will be notified by letter (mailed).
c. Awards will be announced by May 31st.
3. Deadline for receiving proof of registration is September 25th of the advertised school year.
4. A copy of the fall semester grades (transcript) should be submitted to the Scholarship Committee via the church office at the end of the semester. Transcripts can be emailed to the church.
Distribution of Financial Awards
1. Awards are for one (1) year.
2. Awards Certificates will be presented at the Annual Awards Banquet.
3. Awards will be made at the start of the fall term through the end of September of the
4. Awards will be made payable to the student and/or institution after fall registration is completed for dispersion to the student as a stipend to be used by the student as needed.
5. Award dollar amount will be decided by the Scholarship Committee based on funding
Scholarship Committee Guidelines
The PUMBC Scholarship Committee shall be:
1. Sanctioned under the Christian Education Department according to the PUMBC Bi- Laws
2. A standing committee of seven (7) PUMBC members appointed by the pastor and/or
Superintendent of Christian Education according to the PUMBC Bi-Laws
3. Organized with a chairperson chosen by the committee members to serve according to the PUMBC Bi-Laws.
PUMBC Scholarship Program Recordkeeping and Reporting:
1. The Scholarship Committee Chairperson will maintain the following records for each award in the office of the financial secretary:
a. Verification (by signature of three (3) Scholarship Committee members)
that official transcripts have been reviewed and approved
b. All Recipient applications and award amounts
c. Follow up information on each student, i.e.
1. Names of institutions award recipients are attending
2. Did the student complete their educational goal?
3. How were we able to help?
d. How much is available in the scholarship fund
e. Scholarship program Donor information
2. Annual reports of the scholarship committee’s activities shall be made during the PUMBC Annual conference
PUMBC Scholarship Program Funding:
1. Annual funds available for the PUMBC YSP shall be determined by the PUMBC finance committee based on the annual PUMBC budget and donations.